Insulated garage doors and non-insulated garage doors – how do you make the correct choice? ACE Garage Door’s team of certified garage door technicians will guide you in making the correct decision concerning one of the most important items of your household.
There are fundamental differences between insulated and non-insulated garage doors. The key is finding what is best for you.
Non-insulated garage doors:
- Consist of a single material layer
- Have a layer of material composed of vinyl, wood or glass that forms a barrier between inside and outside
Insulated garage doors are:
- Referred to as double-layer or triple-layer garage doors
- Built of multiple material tiers that alternate between the door material and a type of insulation
So what type of garage door is best for you?
ACE Garage Door owner Donald Michler and his trained team of certified garage door technicians can help answer that question for you.
The proper fit for your home
- If the garage door is in an open carport or a detached garage, a non-insulated garage door may be best.
- If the garage is attached to the house, then an insulated garage door is definitely something the homeowner should consider.
In the long run and savings
- An insulated garage door may cost more on average than a non-insulated one, but it has the added strength to withstand everyday wear and tear and minor impacts than a non-insulated door.
- Insulated garage doors tend to last longer, whereas a non-insulated one may need to be replaced more frequently.
- An insulated garage door can also help the homeowner save money over the long run. An insulated garage door is better at trapping heat or cold air inside, helping to reduce energy bills.
Insulated garage doors come with an R-value. R-value is the measure of its insulation thickness, Michler explained.
The higher the R-value, the more effective the insulation in the door will be. ACE Garage Door Company staff recommends buying an insulated garage door with an R-value of more than 10, since you may be able to claim it as a tax credit.
Michler said the steel-back insulated garage door is the top insulated garage door on the market.
Noise is also a key factor to consider when buying a garage door. An insulated garage door helps with outside noise and operates much quieter than a non-insulated one.